With a promise from Captain Curtis, we showed up early in the morning to the Hillsbourhg Dock with hopes of the Tobago Cays in our heads. Even after warnings of rough seas, we climbed into his paint-peeling wooden boat. Immediately I found myself clinging to his boat with all my might, and this was in the calm waters of the bay. Once outside it started getting rougher. Someone asked Curtis if this was as bad as it gets. He laughed and pointed ahead to a sea full of white caps. I think at that point we all peed our pants a little. Soon we were hitting the waves head on, which would send us flying in the air and then slapping down on the sea. Every muscle in my body was in full flex trying to keep myself inside the boat. I was on the side that the wind was hitting and with each crash down, I got a huge wave in the face, filling my mouth and eyes with sea water. I could not wipe them because I was too scared to release my grip from the boat, even for one second. Rob and Dustin were at the front of the boat, their hands blistering as held tightly as the flew out of their seats, and their bum bruising as the came crashing back down to their seats. They would see a big wave coming and could both let out a "Whoaaaaaa." At one point we hit a huge wave and went completely airborne, the boat tilting to the side. We all screamed thinking we were going to capsize. Amber demanded we stop the boat at the closest island, which was half way to the Cays at Union Island. As soon as we stopped I turned to everyone and said "That was seriously the most fun thing ever". The response I got was complete silence. I think Amber could have killed me with her eyes. I soon realized that my dream of the Cays was going to remain just that. I begged, I pleaded, I even tried guilting, but no one would go further to the Cays with me. In the end, I am sure this was the best decision, but it was hard for me to let go of the Cays when they were so close we could see them.
I pouted for a little while, but that came to an end when Curtis took us to a close private island called Palm Island, which I now know if supposed to be one of the most beautiful island in all the Caribbean. We snuck onto the private beach and acted like we were rich tourist and were supposed to be there. I am not sure who we fooled but no one made us leave so I think it was a success. We spend the rest of the morning basking in the sun, and exploring the island/resort. We ever ate at their restaurant before getting back on the boat to head back to Carriacou.
This trip was not as eventful as the first because we were now going with the current, but there was still crying and screaming and thoughts of dying. It terrified me because we would race in between waves with a huge wave on our tail. Back on dry ground, we snorkeled as we waited for the ferry to take us back home. I was proud of the sand dollar I found until Dustin came back with a large star fish and four huge sand dollars. We all slept the whole ferry ride home and avoided any cookie tossing.
I had such an amazing time with some of our favorite people. They made this trip one of that I will always remember. We are also so grateful for our wonderful friends who looked after our kiddos while we were away. It was so hard to leave them, but Kim and Erin were so wonderful and loving and Luke tells me how much he loves their little boys.








No comments:
Post a Comment