Saturday, January 1, 2011

What I learned this Christmas


Christmas is about Christ. I have always known this but was especially comforted by it this year. At our ward Christmas program someone sang "In the Bleak Mid Winter". The last verse expresses what I want Christmas to mean to me.

What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a sheperd, would I bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, would I do my part;
yet what can I give him: give my heart.


The greatest way to bring Christ into Christmas is through service. We have been on the receiving end of many, many kind deeds. I cannot even begin to express the love I have felt as family, friends and even complete strangers have reached out to us with Christ-like love. I am truly humbled by the extent that others have gone to serve us. I pray to be able to recognize the needs of others around me.





Santa exists. Last minute, we heard that our ward was having a Christmas party. No one knew we were coming. Santa was there. He started pulling gifts from his sack and reading the names on each present. Rob and I looked at each other questioning if we should have told someone we were coming. We figured it would all work out since Luke is so little he wasn't expecting to get a present from Santa. Suddenly Santa called  Lucas Greer to come to the stage. Luke climbed on stage and excitedly accepted a package from Santa, Harper's name was called next. Luke took the package back to Rob and asked "Buzz and Woody?" In an attempt to manage Luke's expectations Rob explained that it probably wasn't Buzz and Woody. Once all the children (and the missionaries) had presents, Santa gave everyone the okay to open them. As Luke ripped back a small piece of the wrapping he caught a glimpse of what was inside and excitedly screamed "Buzz and Woody" and proceeded to unwrap a Toy Story 3 Bus. We looked around at the other gifts and they were all great, but he was the only child to get a Toy Story 3 item. I know it seems silly but both Rob and I were so touched by this personal gift. How did Santa know we would be there? How did he know the exact thing to get Luke? I cannot fully explain it, but for a moment, I honestly felt like Santa existed.


Christmas is about Family. Family can mean many things. This year, it just means being with Rob. Four months apart can sure teach you to appreciate someone. While we are missing our parents, siblings and extended family, we are learning how to become our own family.

2 comments:

Amy said...

So touching! I got teary eyed. We sang in the bleek midwinter this year at a family caroling party. It is a beautiful song. I am glad things seem to be going so well. You are missed and in my thoughts.

Amanda said...

LOVE the story about Santa, how special! Can't wait to actually get to talk to you! And i've tried to catch your mom at home to pick up the stuff you left, but I already knew she was a busy lady :) I will keep trying :)