
Seeing as we have been living in England for the past six months, we felt it appropriate to tour London before we left. But as we have learned time after time, traveling is never easy. We left Newcastle on a direct train to London which was supposed to take three hours. I very carefully booked this train as I knew we would have all of our belongings for home with us and a transfer between trains would be nearly impossible. "Ha, ha, ha" the travel gods said, "we will show her." On our day of travel overhead lines in London broke down causing mass hysteria throughout all train lines on the east side of England. We were forced off our train and had to run from platform to platform trying to catch a train. Seeing as all lines were effected, every train we ran to was full. Mobs of people would rush trying to find an open spot. With so much luggage we could barely move five feet, we didn't stand a chance. We are very grateful for the couple who saw us struggling and stepped in to help get us and all our luggage onto a train. Our non-stop, three-hour journey took us over nine hours and we had to transfer trains three times. Do I just have the worst traveling luck in the world or it is this ridiculous for everyone else too? It seems a pattern that my posts start off with a story that would make the reader think "Man, I am glad I am not traveling", but really once we get to a location, it tends to be worth the hassle. Here are some of the things we did enjoy about our trip to Londontown...
Buckingham Palace
The Mall
Trafalgar Square
The Queen's Horse Guards
Big Ben
Parliament
Westminster Abbey
Walking down the Thames River
Stopping for some amazing Fish and Chips at Embankment
St. Paul's Cathedral
Luke chasing birds on the steps of St. Paul
Tate Modern
I love Tate Modern and Rob is a good sport about it.
Tower Bridge
Tower of London
Notting Hill Gate
Portobello Road
Covent Gardens
Mmmm Paella! This picture makes me salivate. This is where the Flash Mob hit a few hours later.
The National Museum
Kensington Gardens Princess Diana Memorial Playground
Albert Memorial in Hyde Park
And as always, a post is best if completed with food.
My Patisserie Valerie Double Chocolate Cake and Lemon Cheesecake.
1 comment:
Yum! Both cakes look delicious. I would love to go to London someday and see all of those sights for myself, either child free or wait till the kids are old enough to appreciate it. We shall see....
Post a Comment