Our little girl was due August 9th and Rob's flight to England was August 7th, so we are very grateful that our sweetheart decided to join us early on July 29th. On the night of July 28th we went to bed around 11pm and as soon as I laid down, I started having contractions about 10 minutes apart. They were not painful, but were noticeable enough that I couldn't sleep. By 2am, the contractions were 3 minutes apart but still not very painful, so I wasn't sure if I should go to the hospital. I called and they said I should come on in, so we dropped off Luke at my parent's house. I was afraid they were going to send me home, but luckily I was at 5cm and 95% effaced in the maternity triage, so they admitted me. When I was at 7cm, I got an epidermal (those things are magic!). I tried to get some sleep but I was too excited to meet our little girl. At 7am the doctor came to break my water. As he went to break it, he said the baby was right there and that we would be holding her in our arms in less than 10 minutes. We were shocked that she was already on her way out since my labor with Luke was never ending. The doctor had me push once and she was with us.
Both Rob and I were completely overwhelmed with joy as we met our daughter for the first time. She had a head full of dark hair and only cried for a minute.
We had been considering the name Kate but it just didn't seem to fit. Immediately Rob started calling her Harper, and so she got her name.
She reminded me of Luke when she first came out but now when I look at her, she is definitely more of a McCarthy, unlike Luke who is an absolute Greer.
Since I did not sleep the night she was born, or our first night together, I am still catching up, but there isn't a little girl in the whole world who I would rather spend my nights awake with.
Harper is proving to be quite a sweet little baby. She loves to cuddle and would prefer to be held at all times. She has a long tongue, which she is always sticking out. Her cry is so quiet, sometimes you cannot hear it from a few feet away. She has dark eyes and keeps them open more often now. We love her and spend much of our time kissing her tiny face.








4 comments:
Yes Michelle, you certainly look great- not like a lady who had an extremely hard labor & delivery. That is wonderful news that she was an easy one for you. Love that tongue- what a personality!
She's adorable, Kalil and I are both anxious to meet little Harper:)
ahhh so adorable. she looks just like you in these pictures. the first one you posted i thought looked like luke, but its just because their nose looked the same. she is so beautiful. i hope your doing okay without rob, wish i was there to keep you company!
Congratulations! I am glad that things went so smoothly. Isn't it wonderful how aware Heavenly Father is of our needs! She's beautiful, and I love the pics of Luke with her.
I hope that your trip across the puddle goes well!
Post a Comment