Thursday, April 15, 2010

Final Name Poll


All joking set aside, we are yet to decide on a name for our little August baby. I realize that blogging about which name to choose is a little silly, but we were so decided on Luke, it is kind of fun tossing around a few names, hearing everyone's opinions and then waiting until we meet her to make a final decision.

The previous name poll pretty much mirrored Rob's and my opinions. Each of our favorite names got the most votes, so we wanted to to one final poll.

The finalists are...

Claire
Origin: French
Meaning: Bright
Luminous, simple, and strong, Claire is one of those special names that is familiar yet distinctive, feminine but not frilly, combining historical depth with a modern edge.
Our only concern with Claire is that it is too popular. I saw it ranked 6th for baby names for 2010. Will she have to go by Claire G. becuase there are other Claires in her classes at school. I fought this battle my whole life.

Kate
Origin: English
Meaning: Pure
Kate is a strong, classic stand-alone name, with an image that's independent, smart, and energetic.
Our only concern with Kate is that it would not be short for anything. As Josh pointed out, "Do you want her doctorate degree to say "Kate" instead of a longer, more formal name?"

Oakley
Origin: English
Meaning: From the Oak
Oakley was originally going to be the middle name, but every time I said it as a middle name, I realized I liked it so much maybe it should be her first name, hence my last minute addition of this name to our list. This name has family roots on Rob's genealogy as the maiden name of the Prophet John Taylor's wife who the Greers descend from. This name is simple, beautiful and unique. Since Luke is such a traditional name, it would be nice to have a more creative name for our little girl.
Our only concern is that since it is not a typical name, we would have to explain it every time we told someone. Our friends who have named a child a unique name have complained about having to explain or spell it to others, but in the end, they love the name they chose anyways.

We would love to hear your opinion, especially on our concerns for each name, then make sure to vote in the final poll on the right.

Name information provided by www.nameberry.com

7 comments:

The Calak's said...

I like Oakley! :)

Saysha said...

I love Oakley too! Ironic because I just heard it for the 1st time the other day for a girls' name, and I fell in love with it! :o)

Amy said...

Katherine Claire and call her Kate.

Jackie Thomas said...

I absolutely love KATE...just Kate!! I understand your concern...however if I were to accomplish a Doctorate degree the last thing I would be thinking about is if my name looked professional enough ;))LOL. I personally think that Kate is a very strong name...feminine but powerful! And I am willing to bet that she would be the only Kate in the classroom!

P.S.
Both of the other names are super cute too!

Unknown said...

I love Claire. When i think of that name it just makes me smile. who cares if she has to be called claire g. its ranked high for a reason, its so cute!

michelle, since you guys are so undecided i think you should wait until she is born. i know several people in your position that are undecisive about a name and pick one just to pick one and once the baby comes they change it all together. just call her baby g for now and pick a name when you see her sweet face :)

any name you pick will be perfect.

ThePalmers said...

Anything but Oakley please... please... PLEASE! I named ours Oakley because I wanted him to be the only one named it... come to find out, there is a little boy named Oakley PALMER who lives near us in Mesa... go figure. But just kidding- name your baby anything you love. I liked all of your names- Quincy was my fave!

The Fletchies said...

Haha that's my cousin's kid. He is a cute Oakley though!