Monday, June 23, 2008

Haleakala Sunrise & Biking Down a Crater

Mark Twain described sunrise at the summit of Haleakala as "...the sublimest spectacle I ever witnessed".  Even though we had to wake up at 1:30 in the morning to see it, we couldn't agree more with Mr. Twain. 
As the sun came up over the horizon and lit up the crater, locals sang Hawaiian chants to welcome it in. It was a breathtaking sight. Here is a link with a quick video for a better idea of how cool it was 

After watching the sunrise, we biked down the crater. This allowed us to see the diverse landscape of Maui as we sped down the hills at dangerous speeds.

2 comments:

Cari Florence said...

I've heard that the volcano ride is so awesome! All I can say is that i'm so jealous :)

Jonathan said...

Awesome pics...glad you had a good time and everyone was safe!